The birth of MahaDarshan

MahaDarshan started out as the big vision of a small seventh grader.  It has now grown to be my "great vision" to make a difference in this world! 





Sunday, September 20, 2009

On the phone with children in India before their term exam - Sept 2009

It is always interesting and refreshing to talk to the children! The call starts with speaking to the principal of the school, Mr Natarajan ( I call him uncle, which is a common practice in India when speaking to elders).

You can hear them referring to me as "Akka", meaning big sister in Tamil. This is only a small part of the long phone call with the children in Vellore. It is time for one of their 3 big 'tests' every year, called the "Quarterly Examination." They are tested in all the subjects from the beginning of the school year (June) until now.

The best part which touches my heart is that when I am calling to wish them, they are wishing me to take care of myself. One of the kids wanted me to conduct a drawing competition next time and others insist that I return before next summer. Their justification: they're all there all the time and I can come anytime. Unfortunately, they do not understand that I am thousands of miles away.

Nevertheless, I hope I can always be a [long distance] big sister for them. These children, by the way, were 4th and 5th graders! They are mostly speaking in Tamil, the regional language, which also happens to be the language I speak at home.

Here is the chat:

2 comments:

SUMIT SHARMA said...

I THINK U WILL DO A BETTER JOB by coming back to india.
what u see through net and from abroad is not the full picture.problem is noy lack of education but lack of quality in education system .

SUMIT SHARMA said...

I THINK U WILL DO A BETTER JOB by coming back to india.
what u see through net and from abroad is not the full picture.problem is noy lack of education but lack of quality in education system .